Teenage Rehab - Emotional Treatment
The misuse of alcohol and the use of illicit drugs in particular amongst teens results in drug chemical dependency that may be difficult to deal with. This is because such dependency has complex emotional underpinnings that require complex emotional treatments.
Teenage rehab centers have developed various emotional treatment therapies that are used to treat teens with drug addiction. On admission, teens undergo psychiatric evaluation and psychological assessment. The psychiatric evaluation is carried out by a medical doctor and a psychiatrist to ascertain the suitable treatment therapy for a teen. Psychological assessment evaluation is undertaken by a clinical psychologist. Both the evaluation and assessment provide information that is important in arriving at a suitable therapy to be employed.
The following are the main emotional therapies that are employed in treating drug addicted teens:
- Group therapy - This is intended to promote peer interaction. Peer interaction is very important at the teenage stage as it is at this stage that such interaction is at its peak. By involving the teens in social group discussions under the guidance of an adult professional, teens are able to share their experiences and learn how to overcome any drug-related challenges they face.
- Family therapy - This involves the whole of a teen's family as chemical dependency affects the whole family. Involving the whole family may however not be possible because of commitments, especially if a teen undergoes residential treatment. In such a case, a family therapist at a teenage rehab center takes over the responsibility of a teen's family.
- Expressive therapies - Chemical dependency has the effect of altering a teen's expressive form and thought processes. The expressive therapy is intended to make addicted teens regain their expressive and thought processes. This is achieved by involving them in art activities, music, writing and drama sessions.
- Art therapy - Apart from being part of expressive therapy, art therapy o its own is conducted by a certified art therapist and is intended to invoke the memory of an addicted teen. This way, such a teen is able to reflect back at the times he/she had not engaged in drugs and be able to compare his/her two sides of life. An addicted teen is therefore able to choose the best life and begin to work out ways of discarding the negative thoughts he/she may have.
- Drama sessions - These are intended to make a teen regain his/her expressive form and at the same time learn how to interact with others.
- Music therapy - Music has a powerful effect on the mind. Positive music is a good therapeutic aid to drug addiction teens. Apart from just listening, teens get involved in singing lessons. This helps them regain their expressive forms while at the same time calming their minds.
- Project therapy - This is intended to evoke the dreams addicted teens had before they delved in drugs. By bringing back such dreams through therapeutic dream projects, a teen is able to start thinking of finding ways to realize their dreams.
- Writing therapy - This is undertaken in form of workshops and teens are able to express themselves freely by listening and writing their own thoughts and feelings. All these aid in the recovery process.